Adapted from Joy the Baker
Muffins (makes 24 big-ass muffins, 50-ish mini muffins):
3/4 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup whole milk
2. egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups blueberries
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1. Brown your butter.
Browned butter is butter that has been melted and toasted until it is sexy and tan and delicious, but much like any other tan there is a fine line between a lovely brown glow and something that is heinous and too dark and offensive.
So take your time on this, goddammit. Sit in front of the stovetop and stir and stir and stir until the butter starts to get all fragrant and nuttty-smelling, and little brown flecks start to appear on the bottom. Then quickly take the pan off the stove, but not so quickly that you spill it. Again with the “fine line” thing.
2. Mix the milk, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla. Whisk the snot out of the them. Then add the browned butter. Make a noise like “unnnnnhhhh” when you smell it.
3. Mix your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Again with the whisk.
4. Mix your wet and your dry. It will look pretty gross at this point. THEN ADD THE BLUEBERRIES. Mix them in gently, unless you want a very purple batter. In which case, have at it.
5. Make the topping. Using your fingers, a pastry cutter, or a fork, crumble the butter, flour and sugar together until the mixture resembles coarse meal. If you don’t know what that looks like, think of it this way: the smaller the pieces of butter, the better.
6. Line your muffin trays with paper or foil liners, then fill with batter. Top off with a generous spoonful of the topping. I bet you know this part already because you’re really smart.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Rotate halfway through for super-even baking/if you are an OCD perfectionist.
8. Remove from oven, let cool for 15 minutes, then HOT DAMN EAT ONE OF THEM TO SEE IF THEY TURNED OUT OKAY. Pretty f’ing good, I’m willing to bet.